Thursday, November 15, 2012

What's Wrong With The I-Phone 10

Okay, I could have picked many things to start this discussion. (Okay, apple geeks, do not head to the mall.  There is not an iPhone 10!)  The latest car model, computer, firearm,  guitar, video game, etc.  It isn't amazing that we can be so controlled by the latest model or upgrade.






Do you know how many mail order catalogs are mailed out in this country each year?
40 Billion!
The purpose of every one of these catalogs is to make us discontent, to cause us to feel as if what we possess isn't enough.   We must realize that STUFF does not make us secure.

Psalms 90:12 says:           12So teach us to number our days,
                        That we may gain a heart of wisdom.

Nothing puts life in perspective more clearly than to be in a battle for your life.  This is not a time-management technique. It's not a check list, nor an accumulation of needless stuff. It is acknowledging that God is in the mystery of each moment.  A common mistake of "driven" people is that "we" forget our destination.  We lose our purpose.  We must manage time less and pay attention more.

Mary Oliver writes, "The dream of my life is to lie down by a slow river and stare at the light in the trees-----To learn something of being nothing----A little while but the rich Lens of Attention."

One of my students sent me an e-mail yesterday.  She said that she sat and thought about me and what I was going through.  She then shared with me her pondering, "Why does it take illness, separation, or a loss to make us enjoy the moments?" What a heart of knowledge and wisdom!

I want to learn the rich lens of attention.  What are others feeling around me?  Are they lonely?  Despondent?  Needing to talk?  What are the colors that surround me?  A smile!  A laugh!  A tear!

I pray for more time. Time to dance, sing, laugh, and love with those God has gifted to us!



28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."   Matt. 11:28-30






No comments: